Saturday, April 14, 2012

Trasformation from "Ew!" to "That's so cute!" :)

I promised the transformation of my shelf, so here goes!

I purchased the entertainment center below at a yard sale for $5.  I looked at it and thought "Man, that thing is nasty - but the shelves would be great and $5 is totally doable!"  So....  I decided to give it a makeover.....  Here is the before....
 Gross, huh?  My husband wanted to die when he saw it come home!!!
 To prep it for makeover time, I removed the doors and all shelves.  I also removed the backing you can see in this picture... 
 I then went to Walmart and found some cute scrapbook paper.  A whole pack for only $5, making my total investment only $10!!!  I used my fancy scissors to cut each paper into 4 squares...
 I forgot to take a few pictures, so I'll explain what I did here...  I used a foam brush to put ModPodge on the wood, added one square at a time, and Mod-Podged back over it again.  I then used an old credit card (actually an old key card from a cruise ship) to push out the creases.  I just kept repeating, with scissors handy to cut corners, triangles, edges, etc.  I saved the cut pieces and used them whenever I had a little hole that needed filled!!!   Shelf 1 -
 Shelf 2 -
 Base of the shelf - Same thing!

 I then just continued to cover the entire shelf.  I even got some help from my hubby, gasp!  :)  I kind of got wrapped up in it all and didn't take any other pictures until the final product was complete and in it's home.....  Introducing...  My new Word Work CHOICE center!!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment